Bee Sting Cake
This is for a not filled version, the cottage cheese base makes up for this.
Ingredients - base
- 250gr cottage cheese
- 1 egg, large
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil
- 125gr Sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (or 1 sachet vanilla sugar)
- 200gr SR Flour
Ingredients - topping
- 200gr butter, unsalted
- 150gr Brown sugar
- 50gr White sugar
- 230gr Almonds, sliced
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract (or 2 sachet vanilla sugar)
- 2-4 tbsp milk or cream
I prefer natural, not blanched almond. Hand sliced is the best, but takes some time. A machine can be used, if so ensure that the final product is consistent and not too much fine almond meal is produced.
For the topping brown sugar tends to work better than white sugar, easier to fully dissolve and gives a less sweet topping.
Preparation - base
Using large cookie flat pan (about 27 x 38 cm)
- Mix cottage cheese, oil, egg, vanilla essence and sugar together
- Slowly mix in flour, allowing flour to fully blend in to form a smooth consistent mix
- Keep slowly mixing in flour until a dough of correct consistency is formed, with the ability to stretch and pull without being too tacky.
- Place baking paper on cookie tray, use 5-10cm overlap between paper sheets, if necessary
- Stretch and kneed and roll out the dough to reasonably evenly cover tray.
- Set aside and prepare topping
The dough is normally a bit tacky, so use some flour on your fingers to rub off any sticky dough and also on top the dough when kneading / rolling out to reduce further sticking.
Preheat the oven to 200deg.C (180deg.C in fan force oven)
Preparation - topping
Using a medium saucepan
- Melt the butter in the saucepan
- Add the sugar into the molten butter
- Cook the butter sugar mixture until sugar is fully dissolved, the mixture should be cooked until it has frothed. (Ensure well stirred during cooking to prevent burning at base and over frothing.)
- Add 2 tbsp cream, mix and heat to froth again
- Turn down heat and add the sliced almonds (Ensure the sugar is fully dissolved and frothing before adding). Then heat to frothing again.
- Add more milk, if too sticky/tacky (The final mixture must be reasonably easy to spread upon the base, but not to runny that it flows by itself when spread.)
- Turn off heat and add vanilla sugar/essence and mix in.
- Spread the final mixture on the base
Take care when heating the hot butter for spraying and also not to froth to overflow
Bake at 200deg.C (180deg.C in fan force oven) for 20 - 30 minutes.
After 20mins check that the almond topping is medium to dark golden, ensure that no dark to burning occurs
This cake is delicious when still warm after baking, but still very nice when cool.
Bratkartoffel - Pan fried Potatoes
Is also known as German style sauteed potatoes
- 3-5 medium potatoes, any type, lightly peeled, sliced 2-4 mm thick to your preference, but reasonably consistent
- 2 medium to large onions, cleaned and sliced, 2-3mm thick
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil, or butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, cleaned and sliced (less if you dont much like garlic).
- 50gr Speck or similar smoked bacon, diced (omit for vegetarian, kosher, halal, etc.)
- 3-4 slices of cheddar cheese (omit for vegan)
- Salt and black pepper
Some recipes suggest addition of caraway seeds, I don't use them
If you use speck or bacon you can use less oil. Also if the speck is very salty be careful with adding salt.
Using a medium to large frying pan
- Heat the oil (and speck) in the fry pan
- Add the onions and fry on medium to low heat for about 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Turn over regularly to prevent burning.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and grind in a lot of black pepper to taste
- Add the garlic and fry another minute (I add the garlic later to prevent burning it)
- Add all the sliced potatoes. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until all potatoes are cooked through and a lot of potatoes and onion is caramelised, turning over regularly to prevent burning and ensure even cooking of all the potato. When turning over check pan surface to ensure no material build up sticks, if so scrap off with spoon to clear before it burns.
- Add more salt and pepper as required to taste
- Place 1/2 cooked on to plate then add 2 slices of cheese then add remainder to plate and 1 or 2 additional slices of cheese on top. The cheese will melt into the fresh hot bratkartoffel on the plate. Ready to serve.
Becareful with the salt and cheese, you can easily add more, but can not take it out.